
I had to mail a letter yesterday. I looked in my wallet and had a book of stamps that I had bought back in January. Since the price of stamps had gone up to $0.42 on May 12th I had to go to the post office to buy new stamps.
A few background stories that will make the following story make more sense. For the last month, I have done a few silly things. First, on the day that stamps increased in price, I was mailing my expense report. I was so focused on the price going up and making sure that the postage machine printed $0.42 that I completely forgot to add postage. The envelope came back a few days later and I added postage and sent the report on its way. The very next day after I forgot to put postage on my report, I was mailing a letter to home office. I was trying so hard to remember to add postage that I added it, sealed the envelope and put it in the mail…without an address. Fortunately someone realized before the mail was picked up.
So back to yesterday’s issue…The line at the post office was out the door so I used the machine in the lobby to purchase a book of stamps. The stamps came out of the machine and I panicked. Wait, these are the same as the stamps that I had bought in January. There wasn’t an amount on them. Trusting the post office to have the right stamps in the machine, I added a stamp to my very important letter and put it in the mailbox.
As I was driving home from work, I called Jeff and mentioned the stamp issue. I told him that the stamps were the same and he asked me what they looked like. I said that they had the Liberty Bell and said “First Class” on them. He asked “Do they say Forever?” Yes, in fact they do! He asked “What do you think that means?” DUH! They stamps are good “forever” - Incredible!
When I got home I was relaying this story to Joanne just in case she had stamps left over from when I bought the stamps in January. She had me almost convinced that the price of stamps had not gone up recently, but that the last time they went up in price was the $0.02 in January. Sure enough, she didn’t even know that the price of stamps had gone up and also didn’t know about the “forever” stamps. I didn’t feel so bad about the whole stamp issue. We sure are two peas in a pod!
Hopefully this is the last of my postage/mailing issues for now.
A few background stories that will make the following story make more sense. For the last month, I have done a few silly things. First, on the day that stamps increased in price, I was mailing my expense report. I was so focused on the price going up and making sure that the postage machine printed $0.42 that I completely forgot to add postage. The envelope came back a few days later and I added postage and sent the report on its way. The very next day after I forgot to put postage on my report, I was mailing a letter to home office. I was trying so hard to remember to add postage that I added it, sealed the envelope and put it in the mail…without an address. Fortunately someone realized before the mail was picked up.
So back to yesterday’s issue…The line at the post office was out the door so I used the machine in the lobby to purchase a book of stamps. The stamps came out of the machine and I panicked. Wait, these are the same as the stamps that I had bought in January. There wasn’t an amount on them. Trusting the post office to have the right stamps in the machine, I added a stamp to my very important letter and put it in the mailbox.
As I was driving home from work, I called Jeff and mentioned the stamp issue. I told him that the stamps were the same and he asked me what they looked like. I said that they had the Liberty Bell and said “First Class” on them. He asked “Do they say Forever?” Yes, in fact they do! He asked “What do you think that means?” DUH! They stamps are good “forever” - Incredible!
When I got home I was relaying this story to Joanne just in case she had stamps left over from when I bought the stamps in January. She had me almost convinced that the price of stamps had not gone up recently, but that the last time they went up in price was the $0.02 in January. Sure enough, she didn’t even know that the price of stamps had gone up and also didn’t know about the “forever” stamps. I didn’t feel so bad about the whole stamp issue. We sure are two peas in a pod!
Hopefully this is the last of my postage/mailing issues for now.
No comments:
Post a Comment