Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Chesapeake Bay Challenge- 1 mile swim- June 2008

Once again at the beginning of June I found myself lining up at the start of an open water swim at the Chesapeake Bay. Still nearly scarred from the nausea that I felt the prior year after finishing the 4.4 mile swim, I opted for the 1-mile again this year. I had barely swum for a few weeks since nationals so I knew I was only out there to have fun...or so I thought!

As I was getting ready, I bumped into Allyson. She's so calm! I was definitely getting nervous, but being with Allyson really helped make me realize that I needed to just relax! If she was nervous, you never would have known! I was in the last wave so I took my time getting into my wetsuit. Of course after the big wetsuit debate. All the people I knew who could be competitive were wearing them so I thought I should too even though I really wanted to really feel the water. After much debate, and a few anxious words exchanged between me and others who thought I shouldn't let the competitiveness take over, I put on the wetsuit. There she goes again! But, I'd won the swim overall two years ago, I had to give it everything I had! So much for a relaxing swim, feeling every bit of refreshing water I could.

Wave 4 entered the water. I lined up next to a girl who had swum for Clarion. She had been out of school for a few years and mentioned that she had gone 17 something in the 1650. Yikes! Do I sense a little competition? She followed that up with saying that she was happy to have broken 7 minutes in a 500 in the pool the other day. I was less worried, but still knew that anything could happen.

The horn went off and we all took of swimming. Headed to the first turn I think I zig-zaged the whole way. Jeff later confirmed that I did. I have no idea what happened, there were just people everywhere and I just wanted to find my own space. As I approached the turn, a guy who was in my wave was breaststroking around the buoy. Are you kidding? Come on, guy, just swim! I quickly realized it was Gil, a breaststroker form NBAC. Hilarious!

Gil and I swam near each other for the next stretch and then turned for home. I remembered the mistake that I made two years before that nearly cost me the win and I took the extra second to look for the buoys. I got a good sight and swam straight the whole way in, drafting shamelessly off Gil. He would breaststroke every once and a while so finally I picked my head up and said "Cut it out with the breaststroke!" Startled, he had no idea it was me, but realized quickly and laughed! I got a little ahead and just pushed the pace the whole way in. I finished in 28 minutes and felt like my whole wave was in already. I looked around for familiar faces, went through the food line and was out chatting with my friends and family.
The results were posted and I ended up the 3rd place female. I was so happy with that. Of course I love to win, but I knew it would have been unfair to expect that of myself that day. Shortly after the awards, people started finishing the 4.4 mile swim. We stayed for a little while, but it was a hot day so we decided to head home.

Next year I'm skipping both swims and doing the Eagleman Triathlon. I just need to get the 1/2 IM distance right and feel like next year would be a great time to do that!

No comments: