It's been a few weeks since I've posted a training and fundraising update. To date I have raised more than $1500 for The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society and am doing well towards my goal of $4000. I really do believe I will get there. Last weekend I was at the Disney Marathon Weekend and got a chance to spend some time with my personal Honored Teammate, Brittany Ross (pictured above in the purple shirt). She just got a job working at Disney and is just delightful. This week she celebrated 8 years of being cancer-free. Incredible. Please visit my online fundraising page and consider making a donation to The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society! http://pages.teamintraining.org/nca/natl09/julieoplinger
Here are some updates on my training, it's going great!
01.17.09- Group Training at Fletcher's Boathouse! I finally made it out to a group training session! I had a chance to meet the coaches and some of my marathon teammates in person! I arrived at the start of the run and overheard someone saying that it was 9 degrees. I wasn't surprised because it felt cold and during the 5 minutes that I had my gloves off, my fingers froze. I started the run with 2 winter hats, 2 pairs of gloves, 1 pair of mittens, 1 sports bra, 1 tank top, 3 long sleeve shirts, 1 short sleeve shirt, 1 jacket, 2 pairs of tights and wool running socks. I also had my fuel belt around my waist over all of these layers, not the best idea because not only did the bottles freeze, but the fuel belt didn't stay put around my waist and caused a good amount of chaffing on my waist. Oops! I ended up running a really even paced 14 miles in 2 hours 6 minutes. It felt incredible and my heart rate was right where it needed to be. I really felt like I could have kept running at that pace for a while. The cold didn't bother me at all until I was finished with the run. My goals are beginning to look better and better with every training run! GO TEAM!
01.10.09- Working at the Disney Marathon Weekend. After the half marathon was over a co-worker and I went for a run. We did 10 loops around the resort and each loop was just about a mile. It wasn't too bad because we talked the whole time and saw a lot of people we knew along the way. Finished up what we think was about 10 miles in just over an hour and a half. I was so happy to finally have a nice flat place to run. I had bought a new pair of running shoes the day before at the marathon expo and my feet are so much happier! The best part of the weekend was that I got to see my personal honored teammate, Brittany Ross. She recently got a job working at Disney and is just so happy! I will post a picture as soon as I upload them from my camera!
01.03.09- I headed out for my run this morning, still 22 degrees outside. I was really hoping that it would get above 30 before I left the house. After two false starts, having to go back in the house to 1) take off my jacket and replace it with just a long sleeve shirt and 2) to get my watch and HR monitor, I headed out in two pairs of tights, 4 shirts, mittens and a hat. Within the first 20 minutes, I knew my legs were hurting and it wasn't going to get much better. I debated going home and trying the long run again tomorrow, but I thought of the stories of all of those who I am running this marathon for and was reminded that this soreness in my legs is nothing compared to what they went through in their treatment. They couldn't quit when they didn't feel like having chemo, so in their honor, I wasn't going to wimp out of this run. I ended up with just over 9 miles and when I got home, wearing a little less than when I started, it was 44 degrees. In memory of Marin Morrison, a brave young woman who lost her battle on Friday morning.
12.28.08- 11.5 mile run. It was 65 degrees here today but so WINDY! The last mile was downhill and into the wind and I think it took me almost 11 minutes. Averaged somewhere around 9:40 min/miles which was good considering that I had an awful first and last mile. Goal was to run for 2 hours, didn't quite make it there.
12.20.08- Today I headed out for a long run. I did a short pre-run trot with my dog Tucker and my legs didn't really feel that great. I took him home and told Jeff that I could be gone for as few as 45 minutes, but as long as I don't know. Once I started running, my legs felt ok. I got about 30 minutes in and decided to run the trail which is 4.8 round trip. I worked it pretty hard, but keeping my HR in an acceptable aerobic range, and was averaging under 9 min/miles. My cadence has increased and I can't help but think that it could be from the 2-3 spinning classes I take each week. The run ended up being somewhere between 10-11 miles. It felt great and I wasn't too sore. I did have to eat hot oatmeal to warm up afterwards. I'm looking forward to increasing the mileage soon. I feel like I've been running 8-12 miles every weekend and am itching for more!
Here are some updates on my training, it's going great!
01.17.09- Group Training at Fletcher's Boathouse! I finally made it out to a group training session! I had a chance to meet the coaches and some of my marathon teammates in person! I arrived at the start of the run and overheard someone saying that it was 9 degrees. I wasn't surprised because it felt cold and during the 5 minutes that I had my gloves off, my fingers froze. I started the run with 2 winter hats, 2 pairs of gloves, 1 pair of mittens, 1 sports bra, 1 tank top, 3 long sleeve shirts, 1 short sleeve shirt, 1 jacket, 2 pairs of tights and wool running socks. I also had my fuel belt around my waist over all of these layers, not the best idea because not only did the bottles freeze, but the fuel belt didn't stay put around my waist and caused a good amount of chaffing on my waist. Oops! I ended up running a really even paced 14 miles in 2 hours 6 minutes. It felt incredible and my heart rate was right where it needed to be. I really felt like I could have kept running at that pace for a while. The cold didn't bother me at all until I was finished with the run. My goals are beginning to look better and better with every training run! GO TEAM!
01.10.09- Working at the Disney Marathon Weekend. After the half marathon was over a co-worker and I went for a run. We did 10 loops around the resort and each loop was just about a mile. It wasn't too bad because we talked the whole time and saw a lot of people we knew along the way. Finished up what we think was about 10 miles in just over an hour and a half. I was so happy to finally have a nice flat place to run. I had bought a new pair of running shoes the day before at the marathon expo and my feet are so much happier! The best part of the weekend was that I got to see my personal honored teammate, Brittany Ross. She recently got a job working at Disney and is just so happy! I will post a picture as soon as I upload them from my camera!
01.03.09- I headed out for my run this morning, still 22 degrees outside. I was really hoping that it would get above 30 before I left the house. After two false starts, having to go back in the house to 1) take off my jacket and replace it with just a long sleeve shirt and 2) to get my watch and HR monitor, I headed out in two pairs of tights, 4 shirts, mittens and a hat. Within the first 20 minutes, I knew my legs were hurting and it wasn't going to get much better. I debated going home and trying the long run again tomorrow, but I thought of the stories of all of those who I am running this marathon for and was reminded that this soreness in my legs is nothing compared to what they went through in their treatment. They couldn't quit when they didn't feel like having chemo, so in their honor, I wasn't going to wimp out of this run. I ended up with just over 9 miles and when I got home, wearing a little less than when I started, it was 44 degrees. In memory of Marin Morrison, a brave young woman who lost her battle on Friday morning.
12.28.08- 11.5 mile run. It was 65 degrees here today but so WINDY! The last mile was downhill and into the wind and I think it took me almost 11 minutes. Averaged somewhere around 9:40 min/miles which was good considering that I had an awful first and last mile. Goal was to run for 2 hours, didn't quite make it there.
12.20.08- Today I headed out for a long run. I did a short pre-run trot with my dog Tucker and my legs didn't really feel that great. I took him home and told Jeff that I could be gone for as few as 45 minutes, but as long as I don't know. Once I started running, my legs felt ok. I got about 30 minutes in and decided to run the trail which is 4.8 round trip. I worked it pretty hard, but keeping my HR in an acceptable aerobic range, and was averaging under 9 min/miles. My cadence has increased and I can't help but think that it could be from the 2-3 spinning classes I take each week. The run ended up being somewhere between 10-11 miles. It felt great and I wasn't too sore. I did have to eat hot oatmeal to warm up afterwards. I'm looking forward to increasing the mileage soon. I feel like I've been running 8-12 miles every weekend and am itching for more!
The rest of the season looks like this...
1.24.09- 12 miles- With the TEAM!
1.31.09- 16 miles- Bethesda- May have to do on my own.
2.07.09- 12 miles- Will be at Rehoboth Beach. On my own.
2.14.09- 18 miles- Will be in Richmond. On my own.
2.21.08- 12 miles- With the TEAM!
3.01.09- THE BIG 20 MILER!!! Will be in Sarasota. On my own or maybe as part of the Gasparilla Marathon in Tampa.
3.07.09- 10 miles- With the TEAM!
3.14.09- 6 miles- With the TEAM!
3.21.09- National Marathon! GO TEAM!
And then I need to start thinking about life after the marathon. Oh, wait, I have...
April- Tampa Bay Marathon Swim relay with Jen & Jana!
May- Columbia Triathlon, Reston Sprint Tri
June- Eagleman Tri
September- Savageman Half!
2009 is going to be a BIG YEAR!
No comments:
Post a Comment