Monday, September 15, 2008

Next Race: SavageMan International- Sept. 21

This was the scene 4 years ago on my very first ride in Western Maryland. I had just climbed Westernport Rd. on our 50ish mile "social ride" and was miserable. 7 miles straight up the hardest climb I had experienced to date. About an hour before this picture was taken, I was convinced that I was in excellent physical shape and "tough". Now, completely humbled, I sat on the side of the road reconsidering my assessment of myself. I was about 6 weeks out from what is still the best race of my life- Ironman Lake Placid 2004. This ride, and that 7 mile climb, turned a corner in my training and made me "tough".

The day began at Deep Creek Lake with Kyle, Vince, Steve and I headed out for what Kyle called a "social ride". "No problem, Jules, you'll be fine!" Yeah, right! We rode the first 25 miles effortlessly, and in just over an hour. Yikes! As we stood in the convenience store in Westernport, I knew this day wasn't going to end well. We had to somehow make up that elevation. Back on our bikes, we made a few turns and then HELLO, there's the elevation. Three blocks later, I couldn't take one more pedal stroke and just before falling over, made a left hand turn. The guys went straight up "the wall" while Steve and I went around. I had never seen anything like this in my life. The climbing continued for the next 7 miles. The guys took off and I was alone with my thoughts which quickly turned very negative. "Is this ever going to end?" "Why am I here?" "Do I really think I can do well at Ironman?" Not good, I am usually a pretty positive person. After a few miles, I was hot and tired. I had to get off my bike, I felt like I was going to be sick. Kyle came back down, and I was sitting on the side of the road. "You can either bike down to Westernport and we'll come pick you up in a few hours, or you can get back on your bike and keep climbing, your choice." Whoa, I think I'll keep climbing. I felt like a quitter for secretly wanting to go back down, and for sitting on the side of the road crying.

We made it to the top. Vince and Steve were there, and the now infamous phrase was uttered "I don't care if she's f-ing dead, I'm NOT going back down there." Thanks, coach!

The ride continued for about 30 or so more miles, and we all made it back safe. I still remember this day like it was yesterday.

Stats on the Westernport ride:
Meadow Mountain Lane to Westernport over Eastern Continental Divide back to Deep Creek through Savage River State Forest
· 56.5 miles
· 5000 total feet climbing
· Mt. Westernport 700 feet climbing in first 1.3 miles (~10+% avg)
· 1800 feet climbing over entire 7 miles

This weekend, I am headed up to Deep Creek Lake for the SavageMan Triathlon. A race which grew out of a vision that Kyle Yost had on one of these insane training weekends. There is a half Ironman distance race and International distance. Jeff will be doing the half IM aquabike race (1.2 mile swim & 56 mile bike including Westernport) and I have opted for the International distance (.9 mile swim, 24 mile bike, 10K run). While Westernport is not included in my race, I know that there will be challenging terrain this weekend. Nothing in Western MD is flat. I am looking forward to the challenge.

I am definitely prepared for this race. My bike and run training has come along really well this summer and while I haven't trained on hills like those I will encounter this weekend, I know what I'm up against and feel positive that I will be able to get through the challenge. My swimming has been a slight issue recently, with a hurt right shoulder. I know I can cover the distance, just looking forward to being out of the water as quickly as possible and on the bike course! Whatever happens, I know I can finish and hope to have a great day, SMILING the whole way!

This race benefits the Joanne M. Nicolay Melanoma Foundation and you can make a donation here: http://www.active.com/donate/SavageMan2008/oplinger

Race results and reports will be posted next Monday!

Of course there are many FUN things to do when not swimming, biking or running at Deep Creek Lake...

No comments: